Location: Port Jervis, New York
The Cami Technician assists in providing behavioral nursing care to patients hospitalized for psychiatric and/or substance abuse treatment. This position participates in the planning and implementation process for the multidisciplinary treatment team including physical care of patients as directed by registered nurse(s) and management of patients' behavioral expressions of substance abuse or psychopathology.
- Applies hospital patient care standards to patient care activities.
- Assists in initial admission assessment of patients and collaborates with professional staff in disposition of patients.
- Intervenes appropriately with critical patients, such as during escalation, suicidal behavior, and elopement.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the patient's plan of care, based on identified needs, appropriate to patient age, consistent with the physician's plan of care and mutually agreed upon with patient/family.
- Follows policy and procedures to ensure patient safety (i.e. observational patient checks, sharps policy, visitors policy, patient searches etc.)
- Performs/assists patient with activities of daily living (i.e., bathing, feeding, ambulating, etc.). under the supervision of the nurse as necessary.
- Performs effectively in emergency situations.
- Communicates and documents patient progress/responses toward expected outcome(s) and reports pertinent observations.
- Takes temperature pulse, respirations and blood pressure and weigh patients, as ordered.
- Develops a therapeutic relationship with assigned patients using counseling interventions to assist patients in coping, fostering mental health, and preventing mental illness or disability.
- Encourages independent behavior in patients.
- Sets limits on a patients behavior at appropriate times.
- Co-leads patient groups when assigned.
- Responds to patient family needs and customer care concerns as soon as possible with compassion and understanding.
- Promotes a professional atmosphere through courteous communication with patients, visors, physicians and co-workers.
- Observes and respects the privacy and confidentiality of information with regards to patients, physicians and peers.
- Demonstrates mission and values with patients, families, peers and other members of health team.
- Collaborates with peers, physicians and other members of health team.
- Promotes attendance of patients in all therapeutic groups, community meetings and activities.
- Attends and participates in treatment plan meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
1-2 years experience in health care preferred. Knowledge of substance abuse disorder preferred. Current BLS
Associate degree required in the Human Services field and or equivalent in experience.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Bon Secours Community Hospital
For nearly a century, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, NY, has served the residents of western Orange County, NY, Pike County, PA, and northern Sussex County, NJ, as the area's premier healthcare provider. The hospital serves its community with 122 beds for acute care and medical-surgical services, a 24-hour emergency department, long-term care and rehabilitation, a dedicated bariatric surgery unit, behavioral health, and outpatient services.