1. Works with Research Regulatory Affairs and Research Safety managers to develop and review related policies, manuals, and procedures as it relates to the biosafety program. They are responsible for managing biosafety administrative tasks for the safety program including maintaining records and preparing periodic reports for institutional management regarding the Research Biosafety Program status.
2. Works with principal investigators, laboratory supervisors, and laboratory staff to develop a culture of safety and responsibility within the labs. Provides technical guidance on biosafety related protocols, standard operating procedures, and work practices involving laboratory biosafety design and maintenance.
3. Develop, implement, and track biosafety trainings to ensure that new, and current staff, students, and others receive the appropriate level of Biosafety training for their work duties and environment. Manages biosafety existing protocols and procedures for all DV office and research lab moves and relocations. Works with principal investigators, laboratory supervisors, and laboratory staff to ensure they are aware of these processes.
4. Serves as the primary intermediary between the IBC and principal investigators (PIs) and/or laboratory manager/supervisors. Attends the Nemours Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) quarterly meetings. Assists the IBC to ensure the research at Nemours is conducted in accordance with NIH Guidelines.
5. Maintains current biosafety knowledge, including regulations, guidelines, recommendations, and standard practices using a variety of professional sources including NIH Guidelines, Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL), ABSA International (ABSA), CDC, WHO, etc.
6. Monitors all Nemours research, activities involving the use of hazardous biological materials and recombinant DNA molecules for compliance with appropriate regulations, policies, procedures, and best practices. Oversees select agent transfers to and from Nemours laboratories; monitors use of toxins covered by the CDC's Select Agent ruling.
7. Routinely surveys and inspects laboratories and facilities that house biological agents and materials on a regular basis. Maintains and provides Nemours Incident Action Plan for biohazards including historical records of findings, action steps, and resolutions. Reports biosafety issues, violations, and incidents to the Research Safety and Facilities Operations Manager.
8. Proactively acts to identify and reduce risks wherever possible and recommends actions necessary to minimize risks and comply with pertinent regulations and policies.
9. Develops and implements emergency response procedures for incidents involving biological hazards. Responds to biohazardous materials incidents i.e., spill response, exposure response, and related incidents as appropriate.
10. Additional miscellaneous duties and responsibilities may be assigned as deemed necessary.