Location: Orlando, Florida
Nemours is seeking a Pharmacist Lead - Sterile Operations (FULL-TIME), to join our Nemours Children's Health team in Orlando, Florida.
Full-time, Pharmacist Lead position that oversees Sterile operations in both hazardous and non-hazardous areas. This position also has direct reports that they will supervise. Hours are primarily from 8am - 4:30pm with ability to flex hours based on needs of the department in addition to a weekend rotation.
Interested candidates should have extensive knowledge of USP 797/800 regulations and ability to supervise direct reports. ASHP accredited/Hospital certification/Residency preferred. Prior managerial experience preferred. HOSPITAL experience REQUIRED. PEDIATRIC experience preferred.
Under the leadership of the Director of Pharmacy and the Pharmacy Operations Manager, this position is responsible for overseeing the pharmacy day-to-day Sterile Operations within the Nemours Children's Hospital (NCH) to ensure that patient pharmaceutical needs are effectively met. This pharmacist is responsible for coordinating, monitoring and maintaining Sterile Products pharmacy services while assuring patient safety through providing clinical, pharmaceutical, operational and regulatory knowledge of sterile products. This pharmacist will provide oversight of Sterile Products clean room operations, compounding personnel, aseptic technique and sterile product production practices while maintaining accuracy, safety, and the reduction of waste through the implementation of Standardized Operating Procedures for Sterile Products processing.
Duties include managing the aspects associated with the compounding of sterile pharmaceuticals by establishing and reviewing compounded sterile products for quality checks, leading pharmacists and pharmacy technicians working in the Sterile Products areas in daily workflow accuracy, sterile technique and ensuring Sterile Products productivity. (Sterile products production to include, but not limited to: Compounding and Repackaging records related to Sterile Products, impact of Order verification processes, Cart fill process, first doses, and inventory management of sterile products).
- Supervise the day-to-day Sterile Products production and drug distribution system, evaluate alternatives, and follow up on issues and concerns.
- Submit Epic tickets for any issues related to compounding & repackaging records and the order verification of Sterile Products including subsequent validation within Epic of resolution.
- Identify and resolve pharmacy Sterile Products line service problems.
- Enforce policies and procedures that promote cost effective, appropriate, and safe medication use.
- Coordinate the activities of the Pharmacy Staff completing Sterile Products processes to provide optimal pharmaceutical support to patients that is safe, cost effective, and appropriate.
- Coordinate and organize the Sterile Products processes by establishing workload requirements and delegating assignments to maintain an appropriate staffing level and ensure that the services and responsibilities of the department are provided in a timely and quality manner.
- Coordinate production schedules based on projected staffing patterns, workload, and utilization in such a way that minimizes stock outs (<1%) and expiration date wastage.
- Responsible for and ensure strict control and accountability for Sterile medications dispensed to patients or distributed to floor stock.
- Investigate and analyze incident reports focused on Sterile Products.
- Monitor and ensure Sterile Products practice conforms to the Pharmacy Standard Operating Procedures and Reliable Methods for the appropriate and efficient preparation and utilization of sterile pharmaceutical products within Nemours Children's (NCH), including:
- Monitor to ensure that medications are prepared accurately in appropriate containers, labeled in an appropriate manner and stored in the recommended environment (temperature, humidity, lighting, etc.) in a manner that minimizes cost due to wastage.
- Monitor and ensure the physical appearance, functions, safety and staff behavior performance in Sterile Products processing conforms to Nemours Children's (NCH) standards.
- Develop, review, and update Standard Operating Procedures of Sterile Products departmental processes to ensure that the procedures reflect changes in operational procedures and/or current standard of practice.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by authorized personnel to provide departmental flexibility to patient care needs including those for emergency situations such as:
- Acting as a Clinical Staff Pharmacist when necessary
- Providing drug information and functioning as an information resource
- In coordination and partnership with the Non-Sterile Operations Pharmacist Lead and Pharmacy Operations Manager, ensure the scheduling of appropriate and competent technician and pharmacist staff for the efficient and effective operation of the Sterile Products Production in the Department of Pharmacy.
- Coordinate orientations and educational in-service programs for the Pharmacy staff on the appropriate utilization of Sterile Production Pharmacy Services for non-hazardous and hazardous sterile clean room areas.
- Monitor and ensure Sterile Products orientation, training and education of all new clinical pharmacists, clinical specialists, technicians and students is 100 % completed for their specific staffing responsibilities.
- Monitor and evaluate work performance of assigned Pharmacy Technicians including providing and documenting formal feedback to personnel when necessary, recommending and initiating personnel action, and providing and documenting employee appraisal processes.
Responsible for compliance with Joint Commission and other regulatory standards as they apply to assigned duties and responsibilities.
Develop Sterile Products procedures that ensure the pharmacy department meets all legal, accreditation, and certification requirements posted by the FDA, Board of Pharmacy, Board of Health, DEA, CMS, USP 795, USP 797, USP 800 and Joint Commission.
Lead and ensure ongoing measurement and improvement of Sterile Products pharmacy operations.
- Implement and administrate Sterile Products processes that identifies potential system vulnerabilities, establishes medication safety best practices and facilitates medication safety improvement projects. This includes the management of current technology and implementation of new technology.
- Implement and administrate Sterile Product audits and tracers programs and respond to the results to ensure quality of Sterile Products pharmacy services using PDCA methodology. This includes the trending of environmental sampling.
- Promote and use Lean management principles as the department's primary tool for ensuring a high reliability culture (5S, elimination of waste, JIT, standard work, quality), promote and comply with standardized procedures/work, identify "waste" in Sterile Products process and recommend solutions for implementation and correct abnormal conditions.
- Act as a liaison with Nursing and Medical staff concerning Sterile Product issues.
- Investigate and analyze incident reports focused on Sterile Products.
- RPh or PharmD required.
- ASHP Accredited Hospital Certification/Residency preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years' experience required.
- Two (2) to three (3) years' Supervisory and knowledge of USP 795/797/800 experience preferred.
- One (1) to (2) years experience working across departments and with organizational leadership to achieve action oriented results preferred.
- Hospital Pharmacy experience required.
- Extensive knowledge of USP 795/797/800 regulations.
- Ability to work with information systems, automated and technical equipment.
- Ability to manage direct reports and establish and maintain working relationships with various members within and outside the department.
- Lean Management Principles preferred.
- Knowledge of Improvement, Change management, Quality & Safety Principles for Healthcare preferred.