Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Internal Number: REQ-020803
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Assists laboratory staff in routine tests used to diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Essential Key Responsibilities:
- Receives, verifies, logs, and collects patient requisitions and specimens for technical testing.
- Opens and inspects all specimens to assure an accurate specimen count.
- Verifies patient requisitions for completeness of patient, client, and insurance information.
- Prepares and sorts patient requisitions, and identifies and interprets data to be entered into the information system.
- Follows proper procedures with specimen rejection, if patient, client, and insurance information is submitted incorrectly on source.
- Enters alphabetic, numeric, or symbolic data from patient requisitions, face sheets, or photocopy of patients' insurance card, into the information system following format displayed on screen. May enter:
- client information (group name, referring physician, copy to physician, address, and phone and fax number)
- patient's demographics (patient name, address, phone number, date of birth, social security number, gender, medical record number, and electronic medical record number)
- clinical history (past/present medical conditions, specifics of medical diagnosis or tests, treatment plans, family history, type of service, services received, dates of service, and provider of service)
- specimen gross description (size, shape, type of specimen, and gross code)
- billing type (client, patient, insurance, no charge)
- patient insurance information (insurance code, carrier name, policy number, group number, and address of insurance carrier)
- Reviews data entered with source documents and/or error reports and enters necessary corrections into the information system.
- May label requisitions, specimen containers, cassettes and/or slides and affixes coverslip to slides.
- Routes patient requisitions after entry.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and tracks all routine maintenance and quality controls performed.
- Monitors inventory, places supply order prior to depletion, stocks and maintains laboratory supplies.
- Files, retrieves, and distributes blocks, slides, and pathology reports.
- Operates, cleans, and sterilizes laboratory equipment, glassware, instruments, and workstation.
- Disposes of hazardous chemical waste per regulatory guidelines.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as well as company and departmental rules, polices, and procedural manuals.
- Adherence to CAP, CLIA, State Regulations, HIPAA, Safety and OSHA Regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- HS Diploma or equivalent.
- State licensure, if applicable.
- 1 year of practical laboratory experience preferred.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment computerized data entry test and basic skills tests.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment visual color discrimination test.
- Color deficiency test.
- Computers, computer programs, information system(s), photocopiers, scanners, facsimile machines, tissue processors, drying ovens, automatic stainers, cover slippers, and personal protective equipment.
- Knowledge of laboratory policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment and testing to operate, clean and sterilize.
- Knowledge of medical terminology to communicate with laboratory staff.
- Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Skill in using computer programs and applications.
- Skill in typing 45 WPM.
- Skill in operating a variety of laboratory support instrumentation.
- Ability to listen, read, understand, and follow oral, and written instruction.
- Ability to sort and file materials correctly by alphabetic or numeric systems.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with employees, physicians, vendors, clients, and external agencies.
Environmental Working Conditions:
- Laboratory Setting; exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, blood borne pathogens and chemical hazards.
- Physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger; handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to focus. Requires visual acuity and normal color perception.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Cunningham Pathology LLC
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.